Monday, March 13, 2006

Bathroom Humor

Being the mom of two boys, there are certain things that just happen. Like developing an extra strong affinity for bathroom humor. I've realized that the act of farting can be a great bonding experience. And I've secured a great relationship with my boys. We don't cower to proper terms - "flatulence," "breaking wind," "passing gas," and all the apologetic phrases that go with that lingo don't apply here. We call a "fart" a "fart," and affectionately refer to the verb as a "poot," or "the thunder from down under." We repeat the various sounds and laugh. There are the "pppffffft," "pwoof," "burrrrrrrrnt," "pwup," "boom boom boom boom, boom," (a Roxy fart), and countless others that are really hard to try to convey with mere words. And when one of us breaks out in poot, our family response is "good one!" Probably to the horror of my mother. But it is funny.
Sometimes I act like I'm going to tell the boys something of great importance - "Boys, you know what?" "What?" prffffffft! "Awe mom! Geez!" Laughter. Last night, however, Evan responded by saying "That's the mom I know and love!" While I adore his sweet sentiment, it does make me wonder if they only love me for my vulgarity. Do the toys, and food, and groovy bedrooms really matter to them? Do they brag to their friends that I'm cool because I laugh at them farting? Who knows. All I do know is that the looks are their faces when they are laughing is priceless. And from what Chris tells me about "adult" men, I didn't pick my battle well!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home