Saturday, April 22, 2006

Payback's A Bitch


Roxy's 3 month picture

The other day my mom commented on how she thought it funny I dressed Roxy in pink. Funny because I NEVER wore pink - HATED IT WITH A PASSION! Pink to me represented all things sweet. I hated sweet. Pink represented all things cute. I hated cute. Pink was all things darling. I despised darling. Why? Sweet, cute and darling were things I would not/could not ever be. My mom hated the fact that I opted for the black leather jacket with spikes and studs. She cringed when I dyed (and subsequently fried) my hair. Repeatedly. She laughed when I brought people home named "Trash" or "Spit." But we all know, inside, she was gasping for air.
My poor mother. She was a trooper. I put her through the ringer. All she wanted was for her little girl to be "pretty." She didn't want to have to explain to people that underneath all the "stuff" was a good person who knew right from wrong. And she didn't want the world to think ill of her, because, after all, I was a reflection of her. She didn't want to be embarrassed of me. But she was embarrassed of me because she just didn't get it. She was a product of the 50's - when the world was "put together." And she was CUTE! DARLING! She just didn't get how I was different than her.
So, here we sit, some 20 years later. And the fact that I dress my daughter in pink befuddles her. The fact I (and believe me when I tell you this one stumps me too) put pink bows in her hair, throws her for a loop. I can't tell you why I do it. It's fun. For the same reason people dress their dogs in little outfits. There's absolutely no good reason, other than playing. And I'm playing. WHILE I CAN!
One day I will post pictures of Chris & myself when we were teenagers. Then you'll understand. There is no doubt in my mind that Miss Roxy will opt for the fringe too. And I hope to God she does. As long as Roxy, or the boys for that matter, know what's good. As long as they DO what's right, then I will have no problem with them looking bizarre. I will deal with the comments or the looks from others. I will. And I won't care. Really. I think.

9 Comments:

Blogger Marcie said...

She may be into pompon and wear Ambercrombie & Fitch. That is if rebellion is about seperating yourself from your Mother. Cute ass picture!

7:17 AM  
Blogger Catherine said...

You know what I love? I love your and Marcie's daughter's retro names... Roxy and Ruby. So cool!

Such a sweet picture, Cameo. BTW, I used to hate pink, too. Now, as my last post mentioned, I've got a kid who gravitates to it like lint to a Swiffer.

10:26 AM  
Blogger Mom101 said...

It's the backlash to the backlash, and I suppose it's to be expected...just wait until she's rejecting your Cure albums (or whatever) and bringing home Pat Boone.

4:47 PM  
Blogger noncommon said...

marcie - curse you! how dare you even MENTION pompon. you die if that comes true.

catherine - thank you. i think they're sassy names. and i think i'm realizing that pink might not be so bad.

mom101 - i'm holding out hope that she emulates her older brother Evan - he's 10 and wants to dye his hair black and pierce his ear. the glimmer is there. pat boone? i'd die. literally.

5:08 PM  
Blogger Cristina said...

How totally cute. I can see how it would be hard to resist the pink! I can't wait to have a daughter to dress her up. Boys are just not as fun that way :)

3:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

SO CUTE!

And your post reminded...

I was thinking recently that I will have to use total reverse psychology on my daughter and pretend i love stuff that i hate so that when she rebels, she will actually be acting out in a way I approve of... bwahahahahaha. It's all a part of my evil child-molding scheme.

10:26 PM  
Blogger Bridgermama said...

More ruffles! You can never have too many ruffles! Oh and next time maybe something in hot pink!:)
Seriously, she makes anything look lovely!

10:51 AM  
Blogger Jenny said...

You might get a kick out of the fact that my good friend (Tater Tot) is getting her 2 1/2 year old a mohawk for the same reasons you dress her in pink.

11:32 AM  
Blogger noncommon said...

mommy- girls ARE so much more fun to dress than boys. but nothing compares to a little man in a suit.

Izzy- let me kow if your evil plan works and i will follow your lead.

bridger- i just bought her something HOT PINK the other day!

jenny - freakin' wonderful! that i will have to see. if she does, urge her to post pics! and thanks for making it this way!

2:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home