Saturday, April 01, 2006

Skate A Little Lower Now...



It was nearly TWENTY years ago (oh no you din'nt!) that Marcie and I would drive the city with absolutely no plan or destination listening to Renegade Soundwave ("are we gonna have some...are we gonna have some fun?"), Ice T, Zeppelin (Kashmir's musical orgasm, and that poor man with that tiny lemon), Paul's Boutique ("girl....you're a dog on a leash like a pig in a pen"), Jefferson Airplane ("if only you believe"... DAMN!!!!!), etc. She was the only other person my age who knew show tunes. We bonded over the "Telephone Hour" from "Bye Bye Birdie" ("hi marcie, hi cami (ughhhh), what's the story morning glory...?")
She has always had this amazing knack (still does) for understanding the lyrics to songs. Hearing the funniest little things that slip past the average listener (me). And occasionally I have that honor ("do you remember the 21st of September?") That song turned out to be pretty important in her life. Our lives have been shared over an absolutely fantastic soundtrack!
It's a daily occurrence for us to sing with/to eachother over the phone. You know what I heard today? What? 10cc! sing Little River Band! sing Air Supply! sing Maureen Muldare! sing Atlanta Rhythm Section! sing Loggins and Messina! sing She always knows who sings the songs. ALWAYS! She sings Loretta Lynn and then break right into Jay-Z. When we reminisce, one of usually remembers what was playing in the background. Steely Dan at the grandparents pool at night. Radar and the Lemon Song. Plus a million more.
Our parents share a great love of music too. Her step-dad and my mom are the only two people we know that owned the "Beautiful Day" album. My mom believes (as do I) that Rubber Soul was the best Beatles album. Plain and simple, we grew up on good music. Our friendship grew on great music.
We have talked about putting together a CD of Marcie & Cameo songs, but truth be told, it would probably turn into a box set. We laugh about that darling boy from Incubus (and yes, there's a memory for that one too). We sing along with "Willy & Waylon and the boys." "And you won't need no camel baby when I take you for a ride." But ironically, I don't believe that we have ever gone to a show together! Go figure! Oh there have been plans (or better said - wishes) to go see Loretta, or Dolly, or Bob. But our reality says nope! So, we sing with eachother. She's something else, my Miss Marta. She makes me laugh all the time. She is my best friend - for a hell of a long time! How lucky!
Anyway, enough of that! So, I was thinking about what shows/concerts I've been to in my lifetime - thus what prompted the ode to Marta above - and thought I'd try to see if I could remember them. So here goes, in no particular order: Duran Duran, Van Halen, X, The Cult (3x I love me some Ian Asbury), Divinyls, Modern English, Metallica, Beastie Boys, Kix (don't ask), Norah Jones, Blondie, Red Elvises (FUN FUN FUN!), Fishbone, Simple Minds, Ian Moore, Nikka Costa (flippin' love this chick!), Dwight Yokam (shake those hips), Primus, Stone Temple Pilots , Violent Femmes, Shaggy, Black Crows, Billy Idol, Cypress Hill, Santana, Sheryl Crow, Skinny Puppy (3x), Peter Frampton, Hank Williams III, New Order, Pixies, Thrill Kill Kult, P.I.L. (Johnny Lydon is such an ass -I LOVE HIM!), Romeo Void, Ministry, The Turtles, Don McLean and Sade. I'd like to add more to this list, but with a new baby, there's bound to be a few shows I'm gonna miss. Oh well. I got Marcie to sing to me. I'm set.

5 Comments:

Blogger IzzyMom said...

It's so late. I have to come back to this one later. But great reading...

11:51 PM  
Blogger Marcie said...

That's a really bad picture, I can't even see us! Was up wit dat?

9:51 AM  
Blogger MrsFortune said...

Fishbone! Fishbone! I thought I was one of the only people that still remembered them! Woot woot for their weirdness. Excellent soundtrack, I'd buy it.

I found you cuz Izzy added you to her sidebar and I'm a total follower and read everything she reads. But I'm digging your site!

11:52 AM  
Blogger IzzyMom said...

I'm so jealous you saw the Pixies & the Violent Femmes. Both are all time favorites but I've never seen either of them. My best friend knows all the words to songs and can understand them way better than me. I just make them up if I don't know them...lol

Here's my short list in no special order:

Thrill Kill Kult, New Order, the Cure, Pink Floyd, U2, Van Halen 2x, Rod Stewart, Donna Summer, KC & the Sunshine Band, Book of Love, Echo & the Bunnymen, Jane's Addiction, Butthole Surfers 5x, Public Enemy, Sisters of Mercy, Firehose, Flaming Lips, Stone Temple Pilots, Monster Magnet, Basehead, Ice Cube, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Ministry, The Cult, Lenny Kravitz, Bruce Springsteen, Smashing Pumpkins, Green Day, Black Crows, Skinny Puppy

There are more that I can't remember right now. I love your photo. It's so cute and you guys look FAB!!!

8:08 PM  
Blogger noncommon said...

hey yea! i forgot rod stewart! i love that man. i once named a pet mouse after him. i also had a pet rat named izzy! i'm jealous of echo and the bunnyman! loved them! and monster magnet too. love "god says no." did you know that i danced for Skinny Puppy the show they had here and then 3 girlfriends and i travelled to chicago and i danced for them there too. it was very fun. i had a thing for kevin. a friend actually dated duane for a few years. never was the groupie girl. but those boys were kinda fun to hang out with a bit.

8:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home