Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Truth Be Told

Okay, I have two confessions to make. They aren't great earth shattering confessions, but they need to come out. First, I am a happy person.
Really I am.
I love my life. I feel confident in the person I have become. I like who I am and what I stand for.
I don't feel like I'm lost or trying to figure anything out. I don't feel like I have all the answers either, but I'm definitely not wandering - floating maybe, but not wandering.
See, I told you it wasn't that impressive.

And second, I'm addicted to buying clothes for Roxy.

Now some of you might interpret my clothes buying obsession as a sub-conscious need. Nope. I don't go shopping for the sake of shopping. I go to the store to purchase specific things. Usually the likes of laundry detergent and diapers. And then I float (oh oh see where we're going here?) over to the baby clothes. Inevitably, I find something that I love.
But here's what I do. I put it in my cart and then walk around with it for awhile. After a few minutes the thrill and love fade. And nine times outta ten, I put the item back. But sometimes the item makes it home. And here's where it's gotten really bad. I have bought Roxy things for when she's 2! The child is 4 months as we speak! I have things that will be hanging in her closet until December 2007! But you know what? I look at them and I still love them, so the purchase was right on. Potentially, we could have a basement full of clothes and be flat broke. Na, just kidding.
My theory on this whole thing is I love good design and style. And right now, I'm not able to buy things for me that I love (I'm using the baby fat "reason" for this one). So, I buy things for Miss Rox because I know they will fit her.


So there you have it. My dirty little secrets. Mama has a good life. And her daughter has a groovy ass wardrobe!

10 Comments:

Blogger SUEB0B said...

Being happy is good. Being dressed cute is good. And I KNOW you will teach your daughter that her value goes far, far beyond how cute she is, so that is cool too.

9:44 PM  
Blogger BoomBoom said...

I with you on both of these.

Sometimes I feel guilty for feeling as happy and "life is good" as I do, just because I know not everyone else's is. Eventually I get over it. I have recently discovered I no longer tolerate those who enjoy unhappiness very well. We all know one or two of these types, and I find them terribly draining.

As for the clothes...well...if you were ever in my basement you would see bins and bins of clothing for my girls and son neatly stored in Rubbermaid bins by size. This way I can buy (very far) ahead of where they are and just pull the bin when they get there.

5:31 AM  
Blogger ms blue said...

Baby clothes are my guilty habit too. I bought some outfits five years before we even thought about conceiving.

Her closest is amazingly organized with lovely shades of pink. Would you be so kind as to come to my house to do that?

8:47 AM  
Blogger MrsFortune said...

Look at it this way- you are actually SAVING money, because with rising prices those things would cost a lot more in a year and a half when it would be the more appropriate time to buy them. Right? Right.

4:24 PM  
Blogger Catherine said...

I love good design and style, too. Which is sad because I loathe shopping. It's a pickle! But I'm glad you are happy. Nothing beats happy.

9:22 PM  
Blogger Cristina said...

I know at least 10 people with this same affliction. I think it has to do with having baby girls. I have a 10-month old son and when I go clothes shopping for him, all I want to do is buy up a bunch of cute, flowery dresses. Not that I would dress him like a girl, but the boy clothes are totally boring. I can't wait for a girl just so I can dress her up.

9:32 PM  
Blogger city dweller said...

I do the same thing with walking around the stores with something and then I don't want it anymore. It saves me so much money!

10:27 PM  
Blogger Jenny said...

I'm with you on the happy thing too.

As for buying ahead - I make it a policy to never buy more than 6 months ahead (or we'd be burried in clothes over here) But I seriousely thought I was the only one in the world that puts things in the cart and walks around the store for 10 minutes and then puts them back. I do that ALL the time. I'm not sure what changes in that 10 minutes... Perhaps my persepective - perhaps the buzz from buying has worn off by then... hmm I'm going to think about it.

11:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

lol...how can you help it? Little girl clothes are so cute. I don't get nearly excited buying my son's clothes. Feh. Boring.

10:06 PM  
Blogger Jeremy said...

Speaking of you being a good person, I commented on your comment at bluegal's site (about how you feel when you see a pro-Bush sticker on a car).

I just wanted to let you know I thought I was the only one who is 2 seconds away from losing my fucking shit when I see Bush/Cheney stickers on vehicles up here.

Thanksfully, I live in Maine where he has a 26% approval rating (72% disapprove) and Bush stickers are few and far between. :-)

10:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home