Thursday, May 04, 2006

Blogging Smlogging

I don't have "readers." And truth be told, I don't want to have readers. What I do have, after a few months here in the blogsphere, is a handful of like-minded, kid-toting, liberal feminist chicks that I exchange thoughts with. What I don't have is a business or a great desire to be one of a group. Now, don't get me wrong. I have nothing against those individuals who want to make something more out of their time here in the blog world. "Go fer it," if it makes you happy. But there are certain things I don't understand, like renters (seriously, I don't get how this works), and selling ad space, etc. I thought the word blog was short for Web Log. You know, like a journal. A diary. A place where you threw ideas and thoughts and people responded and that was about it. I thought the premise was to broaden your world by allowing you to find others who share your views, interests, concerns. That is why we all filled out the profile section, right?
I have no interest in blogging turning into a business. (don't get me wrong, if I made 6 figures off 400+ comments, I would probably re-consider. but that's not going to happen) Nor do I have an interest in clamoring for attention. Seriously, if I read somebody's post and there are 20 or more comments, I leave. To me it's like being in grade school when a special presentation is over and it's time for Q & A and everybody is waving their hands way up high and oohhhing and aahhhhing and hoping that they will be one of the lucky ones that gets picked. I don't do that. I never have. I figure if you wanted me around, there'd be room. And I'm not trying to insult anybody by saying this! Please believe me when I say that. I'm really not. I like a someone who has a following. And when I leave her comments she replies. I like her. But she hasn't been around here lately. I think she's really busy.
Anyway, I think all this stems from something I found out when I was set the graduate from college. In one class, we had to take a test. A test designed to give us a better perspective as to our likes, interests, and strong suits. I thrived in artistic areas. Abstract thought was down my alley. What wasn't? Social Institutions. I bombed anything having to do with structure. Kind of ironic for a ballet instructor, huh? Anyway, what this means is that I don't play well in large groups. Duh. I have no desire to belong to the group - any group. Do I appreciate the circles that I am in? Hell yes! But NOT because I am a member. Simply because I appreciate the people in them. If they all told me to take a flying leap, my feelings might be hurt, but I'd leap and never look back.
So, I realize that everybody starts a blog for different reasons. And I'm not slamming anybody or their choices. All I'm saying is, if you come here often and think you like me sometimes, cool! I can honestly say that the people who leave me comments I have found to be funny, interesting, and like-minded. And that's great! It's nice to know that there are others out there who share (some of) your views. It's a nice new little circle. And I like things just the way they are.

15 Comments:

Blogger BoomBoom said...

I totally understand and agree with this entire post. I have several friends who blog and one of them used to dictate to me how often I visted her site and what I did when I was there, she called it her "stalker stats". To be honest it creeped me out a bit and inspired me to remove my site meter. I figured if that was all I was interested in (how many and how often) then I was blogging for the wrong reasons. I don't want to feel like I'm writing for anyone but me.

I'm enjoying your site and added you to my Favorites today.

9:57 AM  
Blogger Sandra said...

I absolutely loved your post. I have been trying to figure out so much of what you said. Renters, ads, hundreds of comments...

I like to write. To journal. I am so enjoying the community that I have found unexpectedly through blogging as a wonderful bonus. I think though, for me personally, if it became about the "traffic" then I'd stop enjoying it. I've never been the "popular kid" and that's not why I blog either.

Some of the "popular" sites are well written, provocative and worthy of their following of readers. My hats off to them. Sincerely

I am happy to have my little blog with some lovely like-minded women that come by to visit once in a while for a coffee rather than a big rockin party :)

10:20 AM  
Blogger Catherine said...

I KNEW there was a reason why I keep coming back here! I've been wanting to blog about this subject for a really long time, but I couldn't articulate what I felt... you did it PERFECTLY. So thanks for saying what I couldn't say, Cameo. :)

10:40 AM  
Blogger nonlineargirl said...

What I hate is when the renters move the furniture around and drink that secret stash of liquor you hid in the upstairs linen closet! The nerve!

1:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooooh..I sent you that invite thing. Sorry.

6:44 PM  
Blogger noncommon said...

hey my izzy, don't you apologize! and i hope you take no offense to the things i said. i like you very much and i think you're very down to earth. i want all good things for you.

7:45 PM  
Blogger Cristina said...

Uh oh, I just started "renting" my blog. But it's not for money, it's just a way to help mommy bloggers meet each other. So, I hope you don't think differently of me now...

I have to be honest and say that I do like it when people leave me comments, BUT I also agree that my primary reason for having a blog is to journal about my life as a mom for MYSELF and no one else. I hope that someday way in the future I will be able to print it off and let my kids read it (like when they are of legal age of course!). I hope it will give them a few new insights into who their mom is.

9:30 PM  
Blogger noncommon said...

mommy- NO, NO, NO! i don't think any less of anybody for what they do. seriously. i was just trying to put where I'M at, that's all. like i told izzy in an e-mail, my post was brought about by people who's ego's seem to grow when they have "readers." and the whole thing takes on a different tone when that happens - like a highschool cliche. i just want to maintain the dynamic that's going on. i like things simple. but if anyone wants to expand, more power to them. i hope they do, and never take a moment to second guess.

12:55 PM  
Blogger The Domesticator said...

Hi Cameo,
It's my first post here.
I agree, that people blog for all kind of reasons.
I do it because I like to write.
I have some of the same visitors, and I like that.
I visit the bigger blog sites and it's cool and all, but I think if I had a big following then I would HAVE to write, not WANT to write. For me, there is a difference. Guess I'm not what you'd call an overachiever.
My hats are off for the ladies who are successful and enjoy it..truly, but, I wouldn't want their popularity.

3:02 PM  
Blogger ms blue said...

I completely understand what you are saying.

It has to be fun for me to write. Just this week I decided to do a Thursday Thirteen for fun although I think it's a pretty disrespected thing amongst bloggers.

I do like to discover new blogs but it's too much work to be out there commenting on hundreds of blogs just to get comments on mine. That's not what it's about!

But hell if someone wants to pay me to do what I'm doing for fun, I'd take their money.

10:32 AM  
Blogger city dweller said...

Well said.Blogging can get a little out of control, eh?

11:38 AM  
Blogger Milo said...

I have to say I agree as well. It's nice to have some people who think relatively like you, but on some level, when the club-house mentality kicks in, it starts to get stale. Love the design of your blog, by the way.

1:34 AM  
Blogger Milo said...

Thanks for the response :) Yup, as blue as they come. I deploy to Iraq this fall, and hopefully before that I'll be going home for a few weeks of leave. Your brother has my best wishes, and I look forward to reading your posts again soon. Cheers :)

12:16 AM  
Blogger Irreverent Antisocial Intellectual said...

You are so right on the money! I started mine just to vent about the MomBots on some silly Mom board I guilted myself into joining. You, Messy, are not a MomBot. Thank you for that!!

8:35 AM  
Blogger Debbie said...

nothing, but *nothing*, makes me get more shivery than when someone tells it like it is.

I love this post for its in-your-face-itude.

bless you, Miss Cameo. Marcie and you are so stoked to have each other as friends. I bet you're completely honest with each other in all the ways that matter.

awesome.

8:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home