Sunday, April 30, 2006

Only Hours To Go!


Like I said in my last post, April has been sucky on a host of levels. After I wrote that, I got more bad news - my dear friend Gigi has to have triple by-pass surgery. She's one of the loves of my life. She's 88, the most liberal being you'll ever meet (from Boston, of course, with a delicious accent), she's an old vaudeville performer, and spunky as the day is long. She delights at playing the piano, and does so for the "senior center." Whatever! She goes to play for people who are younger than she. She's just an amazing gal - she got good ju-ju. Anyway, the doctors gave her an 80% success rate for pulling through the surgery well. She feels positive about it. But the whole thing still rips.
And then, the other night, while driving to rehearsal, the car in front of me hit a cat on the highway. It wasn't instant. I had to stop and be with this animal as it suffered itself into death. I placed my hands on it until it died. Just touching it in the hopes that having some love would help. Then I took one of Roxy's burp rags out of the back of my car and moved the bloody body off the road. It was a disgusting image that I will have stored in my memory banks forever - destined to suffer the anguish when it decides to flash to the forefront. I took a sleeping pill that night.
So, today is the last day of April. The shittiest month I've had for a really long time. Actually, I don't think I've ever had a shittier month.
And tomorrow is May 1st! MayDay! Yes, we still celebrate MayDay in my family. We take flowers to people and leave them on their porches. My dad brings me flowers and tries to sneak away. That's the tradition - you leave the flowers and try to get away before the recipient catches you. Last year he almost got away and I chased him all over my front yard. If you catch them, you have to give them a kiss. I slobbered!
This year I cheated and tonight, left him his on the back porch. He called me, "It's not MayDay yet!" "Yea, well I'm 7 hours and 10 minutes early - get over it! I got you!" I'll wake up with flowers on my porch in the morning. And they'll be beautiful. And I'll love them. And they'll signify the fresh start that I'm in such need of. And I won't get to chase him because he'll probably come by tonight after he gets out of rehearsal. But tomorrow, I'll kiss him.
Oh, and on a final note. Keeping true to the "April sucks" theme. I got my period today.

7 Comments:

Blogger ms blue said...

Wow. My heart has shuddered for you and the cat.

Having a positive disposition goes a long way so I am hoping that all will be fine for Gigi.

I love your MayDay tradition. I wish we did that!

7:43 PM  
Blogger Marcie said...

Ooh child , things are gonna get easier. Things will get brighter.

6:27 AM  
Blogger MrsFortune said...

Oh dang ... the hits just keep on coming, don't they? I hope your friend pulls through. And :( the cat!!!

Happy may day. enjoy the flowers.

7:22 AM  
Blogger Tupelo Honey said...

from utter horror to such beauty in one blog...I am emotionally exhausted just reading it much less living it...but the beauty shines through Cameo...from your comforting touch to a creature in need, to a slobbering kiss for your father and everything in between..sending good thoughts for Gigi...you are so beautiful in so many touching ways, and are an inspiration to everyone you touch!I love you...Happy May Day!

8:07 AM  
Blogger Bridgermama said...

I am so sorry about your friend. She sounds as if she's got more spunk than the average 21 year old and I am sure that will help her though.

Your cat story made me feel all icky. Your kindness will be the last image this fuzzy little guy had before he went to the big scratching post in the sky!

I hope your May is lovely. Oh and could you have your dad stop by and drop off some flowers on my porch? Thanks, I will get my pucker ready!

9:54 AM  
Blogger Catherine said...

Aside from the fact that April is over, maybe getting your period is also a sign of some sort... period. the end. get it?? *BA-DA-BUM* Cheering people up has never really been my forte, but I do hope things look up for you, Sweetie.

6:34 PM  
Blogger Cristina said...

I'm so very sorry to hear about your friend needing surgery. And that story about the cat...how horrible. You must be a very compassionate person to have stayed with that cat until he passed away. I'm sure that you gave it comfort.

1:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home