Thursday, October 26, 2006

Bring It On Baby!! Bring It On!!

Thirty-six!
Today, I'm thirty-six!
On the downhill slide to forty.
Whatever!

All I wanna know is when am I gonna feel like a grown-up?
When am I gonna feel like a big person?

I'm four years away from forty.
I have three children.
I'm on my second marriage (that sounds negative - it's not! just that I've been married to someone else before -WEIRD!)
I own my house.
I own my car.
I have insurance - health, home, auto, and life.
I have more shit than I need.
I'm fatter than I thought I would ever be.
And I'm my own boss.

All these "big people" things I'm doing, and I still feel young.
Still doubtful I have the ability to make the right choices.
Sometimes a little jealous of the freedoms I no longer have.
Still wanting to look hip and hot.
Seeing an "adult" in the mirror, but having a hard time believing it's me.

Regardless of the juxtaposition of feelings and reality - there's not one thing I would change.
Not one decision, mistake, or choice I regret.

I guess I'm glad I don't feel like a big person.
How boring would that be?

Yea, I'm doing the adult thing.
I realized a long time ago, that convention exists for a reason.
But just because I'm doing those conventional things doesn't mean I've grown old.

There's a balance to life.
I'm still an old punk at heart - defiant, critical, angry at the stupidity of the world.
But now I can see all the good things too - like babies, and true love, and good friends, and family.

And so I guess I'm in a good place - this downhill slide to forty.
I know what battles to wage now.
I know what matters most.

So I don't feel like an adult yet?
Who the hell cares?
I'm playing the game and winning so far.
And when I'm on the downhill slide to 90, I hope I feel the exact same way.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Sweetie!! Thirty six. It's a good, solid age. And you don't look a day over 25.

9:43 PM  
Blogger BoomBoom said...

Every single birthday I have from this day forward, I will just put a link on my blog to this post.

5:55 AM  
Blogger BoomBoom said...

Oh yeah...and Happy Friggin' Birthday Doll!

5:58 AM  
Blogger IzzyMom said...

Happy Birthday!!!!

And FWIW, I don't feel even remotely grown up. I'm starting to think that nobody does.

have a great b-day and a fab year!!!!

10:10 AM  
Blogger Pendullum said...

Happy Birthday...
Iam 40and still wondering what I'll be when I grow up!

9:25 AM  
Blogger Marcie said...

Habbity habbity habbbity bir bir bir dddday.

10:03 AM  
Blogger noncommon said...

tododododo yododododo. (marta)


THANKS EVERYONE!!!!!!!
i wish the blogosphere was an actual place. then we could all get together and act like the kids we are when the time is right!

i'll bring the chocolate...

2:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used to have a sign posted on my door that said, "Growing old in mandatory, growing up is optional." It explains a lot about me! I have a common link with others in my age bracket in that we all do exactly what you said, looking in the mirror and saying, "Wow! When did THAT happen." Most of my contemporaries agree that we continue to feel about 30 even though we've doubled that. So, dear girl, enjoy feeling young. Don't sweat the unexplained body changes, don't bemoan what was, just let go of the societal pigeon-holes, and enjoy life. You have so much to celebrate in your life, so let the party begin! And may it last for another 36 years! Life is good! ENJOY!!! Hugs!

6:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! I remember 36. It felt great.

7:51 PM  
Blogger Lulabelle said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home