Thursday, May 11, 2006

Strong Women and then Some









I went and saw my grandmother today! She's too cool. She's strong and spunky and edgy and I love her like nothing else. She is no taller than a short stack of pancakes and her voice is deep and gruff with the undertones of a growl. She is funny and quick witted. I wanna be like her when I grow up.

Anyway, she shared some interesting information with me. I am a descent of people who have the same last name as my husband. Holy shit people, we could be VERY distant cousins! I freakin' love it! And so does he! We're going to do more research on his family line and see if we have related blood somewhere in the past (circa 1700's). I think the whole thing is cool. And when I told Marcie she said things like this probably happen more than we know. Just looking at all the information my grandma has, I find it hard to believe that we're not all related somehow. Seriously!

And on a totally unrelated note - I'm reading this book.
Get it! Go check it out at the library or spend the money and buy the thing! We all need to take a hard-core look at the world around us and shift things! Not only for our daughters, but also for our sons! It's my opinion the Feminist Movement needs to be re-energized and awakened! This is NOT the post-feminist era, it's really a no-feminist era. Let's all get our acts together! This is one area we need to back-track on. We NEED to!


And here's a photo that has nothing to do with anything except it's really cute!
And I've got a couple of things that I want to post here within the next couple of days. But I have to figure out how to do it. Two are videos - one is kinda funny. The other is a little long but incredibly interesting and worth the time viewing it. I think it's something that warrants thought. The final is something Marcie send me today. So, if I find the time to figure all these things out, I'll put them up. So, check back.
And on a final note. Here's wishing a great Mother's Day to all the mama's I know. And here's wishing a great Mother's Day to all the babies who were loved by a good mama. Good ju-ju to you all!!!!!

12 Comments:

Blogger BoomBoom said...

I look foward to your upcomming posts! Here's hoping you have a wonderful Mother's Day too!

8:40 AM  
Blogger Jenny said...

Check out Video Egg (easy) and You Tube (popular)for posting vid.

Happy Mother's Day

11:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Totally looks like my kind of book. And as soon as I finish the other books I'm not reading, I'll get it :)

11:44 AM  
Blogger Marcie said...

We need a third wave of feminism to come around and kick everyone in the ass. Sadly, a lot of this hootchie shit is fueled by capitalism (a mighty foe). Happy Mama's day!

1:44 PM  
Blogger Cristina said...

Your grandma sounds like a great lady. :) Happy Mother's Day to you!

3:26 PM  
Blogger city dweller said...

that looks like an awesome book! I'll have to check it out, thanks for the rec!

11:28 PM  
Blogger ms blue said...

I'd love to research my ancestry too. I find that completely fascinating.

Thanks for the book recommendation. It looks like a necessary read. Have a super Mother’s Day!

1:32 PM  
Blogger ms blue said...

I'd love to research my ancestry too. I find that completely fascinating. By the way, from what I read here, I think you're a strong woman in your own right. It makes sense that it's in your family.

Thanks for the book recommendation. It looks like a necessary read. Have a super Mother’s Day!

1:35 PM  
Blogger ms blue said...

Damn blogger. It really looked like it ate my first comment.

1:36 PM  
Blogger Milo said...

Haven't read the book yet, but people have really been squawking--feminists and non. My question is, what kind of feminist philosophy does the author advocate? Sex-positive or Dworkinist? Equal-rights or gender-role reversal? There are so many different shades of feminist out there these days, it's a wonder we can all keep track of ourselves.

3:09 AM  
Blogger noncommon said...

she snubs sex-positive! that's the whole premise of the book. that women have been blinded by the notion that acting like a "man" is freeing. that being overtly sexual is liberating, when in fact the majority of girls and women don't realize they are just succombing to an accepted form of soft core. this younger generation of women doesn't realize the jokes on them and they are turning themselves into a commodity.

10:20 AM  
Blogger belledame222 said...

Thing is, Levy pretty much ignored most of the more serious sex-positive feminist authors and the context the movement arose out of (largely from the "sex wars" between factions of radical lesbian feminists in the early 80's). i agree that the problem is corporate culture; like so much else, the Sexual Revolution has been commodified and sanitized and smoothed to fit until the most reactionary elements of it are the easiest to find and the rest conveniently vanishes from the discourse, if it ever was there to begin with (i.e. genuine education for all ages, a much wider diversity of sexual expression, including none at all if one is so inclined, and inextricable linked with all the other implications of "my body, my choice.")

I mean, I can see where people would find some of the louder "sex-positive" voices these days problematic and not particularly addressing their own concerns; but I don't see returning to Dworkin-style feminism a viable option, either.

6:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home