Friday, May 19, 2006

A Heavy Dose Of The Good Stuff


Is there anyone else out there who ever looks at their children and suddenly gets hit with the enormity of them? That's what happened when I looked at these pictures of my babies. I got hit with that little dose of reality that they have their own consciousness; their own sense of being; their own reality. It truly is an amazing feeling. I get so busy with the day to day happenings - work, home, bills, plans, blah blah blah, you know the drill. And I enjoy my children. I really do. Even when they're under foot and wanting something from me ALL THE TIME. But these little moments are refreshing and I'm glad I have them. Just looking into their eyes and not being able to understand the complexity of it all is a great reality slap. One I find I need periodically.

Sometimes I find myself wondering what it feels like to be someone I see driving down the street. Like, what's their reality? What's going on in their world right now? What are they thinking about? This is the feeling I'm talking about.
Looking into Evan, Noah & Roxy's eyes makes me wonder their reality. Their thoughts, feelings, dreams, secrets. It's a very humbling thought that I may "control" their world now, but I can never control their spirit.

12 Comments:

Blogger city dweller said...

I know exactly how you feel. And your kids are beautiful, and I can see how you would feel the enormity by looking at those photos. They all have such expressive faces, and the looks on their faces in that first photo is so deep- like you can tell they're really happy.

9:41 PM  
Blogger nonlineargirl said...

Your kids personalities are shining out of that first photo.

9:41 PM  
Blogger Cristina said...

Those are beautiful photos. I am just beginning to see my little guy's personality emerge and so I can understand what you are saying. I'm sure that feeling of your children "being their own beings" only increases as they get older. It's amazing to think that we created them.

10:13 PM  
Blogger Wendy Boucher said...

They say that pictures speak a thousand words. Those photos say at least that much about your kids, maybe more!

7:16 AM  
Blogger Marcie said...

Hooray! Roxy's holding her bottle. That has always been one of my favorite milestones. And the march towards independence begins:)

8:09 AM  
Blogger ms blue said...

"...that little dose of reality that they have their own consciousness; their own sense of being; their own reality."

Yes, that is amazing and oh how I love those moments.

What great photos!

11:52 PM  
Blogger spotted elephant said...

Cameo-The only thing that popped into my mind about Haushia's neck was fur mites. She could have them even if you can't see them. Is the skin flaky?

I did some searching on Etherbun, and what came up as possibilities were fur mites, fungal dermatosis, or an allergy to an insect bite. Do you have a rabbit-savvy vet you can take her to?

12:41 PM  
Blogger Catherine said...

FINALLY! I have tried posting a comment here and a few other places all weekend long without any success. UGH!!! There wasn't even any rhyme or reason. Some blogs let me, some wouldn't. Anyway, all I wanted to say is that this was a beautiful post. And your children have gorgeous eyes! And that, your kids are so lucky to have a mother who takes the time to pause and appreciate their spirits.

7:56 PM  
Blogger IzzyMom said...

I feel like that quite often.

Such beautiful, happy children :)

9:36 PM  
Blogger Tupelo Honey said...

it only gets more intense Cameo...it is INCREDIBLE to experience things like Em driving with me next to her, and to have watched her grow into this composed, vibrant young adult...with her own agenda, opinions and spirit. She will be leaving in three years - as she is quick to remind me and the letting go isn't really that, it's just a deeper relationship. I admit I worried about my ability to stay connected as she got older, and it does take work, but that awe does not fade - it just takes on a new dimensionality...what a beautiful post - and kids, but that goes without saying!

9:56 PM  
Blogger Milo said...

I can only imagine that it would make one want to be only better as a person, to strive for growth as an example to those ones you love. It must be an awe-inspiring feeling.

12:12 AM  
Blogger noncommon said...

thanks everybody for the kind words! i kinda love 'em a lot!

8:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home